The Teller position is the entry level position in the Bank’s retail branches. The Teller immediately takes his/her place in the front-line of customer service. To many of our retail customers, Tellers and the rest of the customer service staff “are” the Bank. Teller is a position of trust and integrity. The Teller accepts ownership of non-complex customer questions and problems directed toward him/her and sees all such issues through to their resolution.
The Teller is primarily responsible for the accurate, efficient and courteous processing of retail customer transactions in accordance with Bank policies and procedures. Additionally, the Teller understands and promotes the sale of NexTier products and services to satisfy customer needs. The Teller is responsible for the management and balancing of his/her cash drawer on a daily basis. Tellers provide work to the Cash Management, Accounting, Loan, Bookkeeping and Cash Departments. The Teller understands the importance of protecting the bank from fraud and overdraft losses.
In addition to the specific duties listed below, the Teller performs all other related duties as assigned.
- Applies the principles of Continuous Improvement to study and improve critical processes within the NexTier system.
- Counts currency, coin and cash drawer with 100% accuracy.
- Handles cash as instructed in the Teller operations training including: rolling coin, strapping currency, paying customers and receiving money from customers.
- Maintains cash drawer cash limits and bait money.
- Makes correct decisions on the acceptability of mutilated money and when acceptable, processes it.
- Reacts to suspected counterfeit money.
- Correctly analyzes the negotiability of checks.
- Analyzes and obtains required endorsements on checks.
- Verifies the identity of unknown customer.
- Posts deposits and withdrawals to Savings, DDA (non-IRA) and CD accounts.
- Accepts “checklist” deposits to DDA and Savings accounts.
- Posts foreign check transactions. Applies appropriate float and hold.
- Issues Money Orders and Cashiers Checks.
- Processes applications and redeems U.S. Savings Bonds.
- Responsible for bundling and scanning appropriate work through the Branch Capture System.
- Gives VISA/MasterCard and Discover cash advances.
- Buys money from and sells money to the vault.
- Processes night deposits and maintains “Night Deposit Log”
- Completes Currency Transaction Reports when system generates.
- Accepts, analyzes, processes, stores, reconciles, films and forwards the physical items associated with customer transactions.
- Balances cash drawer daily.
- Analyzes and corrects out of balance conditions.
- Follows branch facility security procedures.
- Logs on to and off from the NexTier computer system at the Navigator, Insight, and Expedite levels.
- Establishes new passwords every 90 days without assistance.
- Operates all office equipment.
- Recognizes and capitalizes on opportunities to sell and cross-sell NexTier products and services.
- Accepts incoming and outgoing wires and forwards them to the designated department.
- Completes ATM Card applications.
- Completes and submits ATM “Disputed Transaction Requests” and “ATM Transaction Denial Claim” forms.
- Prepares PIN resets and processes through Card Wizard.
- Settles ATM machine (daily) and makes “Captured Card Log” entries.
- Reconciles ATM Machine (weekly) and submits “Captured Card Log”
- Accepts utility payments.
- Completes and submits check orders to designated senior branch associate.
- Accepts international checks for collection.
- Accepts safe deposit box payments and provides customers access to safe deposit boxes.
- Answers the telephone as described in the Customer Service Standards.
- Takes accurate telephone messages and delivers them on the schedule defined by the branch’s senior customer service staff.
- Distributes branch mail as directed by the branch’s senior customer service staff.
- Passes on information on all difficult, pending, complex, or otherwise “out of the ordinary” customer service situations to the branch’s senior customer service staff.
- Offers suggestions for improvement in Branch operations to the branch’s senior customer service staff.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Personal Computer basics and fundamentals of typing.
- Ability to maintain a professional appearance.
- Ability to communicate effectively and tactfully.
- Ability to count, organize and balance cash.
- Knowledge of the fundamental principals of customer service.
- Knowledge of NexTier’s Code of Ethics.
- Knowledge of Bank policies and procedures related to duties listed above.
- Knowledge of Bank products, services, sales principles and techniques.
- Knowledge of legal requirements related to safe deposit boxes.
- General knowledge of how Banks make money.
- Knowledge of who your internal customers are.
- Customer Focus
- Trust and Integrity
- Two years of work experience.
- Minimum one to two years of cash handling/customer service experience.
- High School Diploma or Equivalency.
- Teller curriculum.